If we refer to the first settlements, the toponym could derive from the Greek kuma, wave, attested in the early medieval cumaculum, small wave, but another interpretation leads it to commeatulus, gathering of ships or bumps, since legend has it that the country was built on 13 islets.

In the twentieth century the reclamation of most of the valleys joined it to the mainland, but its historical center preserves its original appearance intact and is crossed by a network of canals that still characterize it as a lagoon city.

Comacchio borders the municipalities of Argenta, Portomaggiore, Ostellato, Lagosanto and Codigoro.
The hamlets are: the seven Lidos of Comacchio, Vaccolino, San Giuseppe and Volania.

Comacchio preserves intact the characteristic of a lagoon city, with the waters that run it far and wide and for a certain stretch surround it as it used to, when it could only be reached by sailing.
The city has always interwoven its history with activities related both to the use of the extensive valley mirrors that surrounded it and to the productive salt pans. Historical events see the city pass from the Church to the Este family (1325) and from these back to the Holy See in 1598.

The urban renewal of the city is due to the water and architectural interventions carried out in the second half of the 17th century at the behest of the Apostolic Chamber. The Trepponti bridge, architecture symbol of the seventeenth-century urban renaissance: the point of union between the navigable canal "Pallotta" and the city, the internal waterways are distributed from it through a dense network of canals. From Trepponti, a privileged place of observation, the low and colorful houses of the city can be seen in perfect symmetry, reflected on the canals, characteristic "waterways" crossed by terracotta bridges.